This Halloween was so much fun. Last year was fun because the kids went trick or treating for the first time & it was oh so cute. They were so excited. But this year they knew what it was all about. Justin & I decided that we needed to get in on the fun of it too, so we made some new family traditions. Halloween morning we dressed up & surprised the kids. They LOVED it! They thought that was the best! We had pumpkin hotcakes (pancakes, we call them hotcakes) & I cut the eyes & mouth out so they looked like jack o' lanterns. AND.... they were even orange! At the table Brynn said, "Mom, do you want to hear something really spooky?" I said sure. It was silent....then I heard "Ooooooo--whooooooooo....did that scare you Mom?" I couldn't help it but I busted up laughing because she was so serious & trying really hard to be spooky. We then played some games like, "hide & seek-trick or' treat," & "pumpkin, pumpkin, CAT!" (another version of duck, duck, goose). Then it was time to paint & carve our pumpkins. Justin carved this really cool pirate ship. The girls were really impressed. (Dad is so cool!) For dinner we had "worms". (spaghetti) All during our eating Tori would say, "these are such good worms mom...I love these worms!" and then she would snicker like she was pretending so well that they were worms. It was such fun because they really got into it. Then it was time; time for the anxiously awaited thrill of Trick or Treating. I went with them to the first two doors & then they wanted to do it themselves & I was asked very nicely if "Mom, would you like to stay in the car & keep warm?" I got the hint. So the 3rd house they excitedly went to the door themselves & came back just beaming, not that they got Twinkies or anything, but that "We did it!!! We did it all by ourselves! And we said, thank you so much, Happy Halloween! This is great Mom!" It was priceless. The next house we went to the same excitement rushed to the door. I rolled down the window so I could listen this time & the lady was oooing & ahhhing over how beautiful the two princesses were. In the most polite "princess" kind of way I heard, "thank you so much, ba-bye!" Tori was coming down the steps & she lost one of her shoes. The woman called out, "oh, Cinderella you lost your slipper!" What happened next, I wish I had a video camera for. She so gracefully walked back up the stairs, slipped her tiny foot into the shoe & carried on. Then turned, curtsied, & waved. The lady had the biggest smile on her face. I know that she closed the door & died laughing. I did! It was adorable. After we went around the neighborhood, the kids wanted to trick Dad. So they went to our door & rang the doorbell. Pretended like they were trick or' treating. They got back to the car & they were laughing so hard. They said, "We tricked Dad so good. He doesn't even know who we are!" Apparently HE tricked them so good by pretending he didn't recognize THEM. It was hilarious. Justin's costume was great. He was a vampire. Not a scary one because we knew that would be a little too much for the girls, so he was a "classy" one. We had neighbor's coming over to our house just to see his costume. He got an applause one time as he opened the door. What a fun night! The best part about it was that the more we got into it, the more the kids did. We can't wait until next year when we add some more fun traditions to it. As for now, on to the next holiday. Tori is already hyped about it because she asked me "Mom, what are you going to be for Thanksgiving....a ghost?" :) Ahhh, good times.
Friday, November 14, 2008
Happy Halloween!!!
This Halloween was so much fun. Last year was fun because the kids went trick or treating for the first time & it was oh so cute. They were so excited. But this year they knew what it was all about. Justin & I decided that we needed to get in on the fun of it too, so we made some new family traditions. Halloween morning we dressed up & surprised the kids. They LOVED it! They thought that was the best! We had pumpkin hotcakes (pancakes, we call them hotcakes) & I cut the eyes & mouth out so they looked like jack o' lanterns. AND.... they were even orange! At the table Brynn said, "Mom, do you want to hear something really spooky?" I said sure. It was silent....then I heard "Ooooooo--whooooooooo....did that scare you Mom?" I couldn't help it but I busted up laughing because she was so serious & trying really hard to be spooky. We then played some games like, "hide & seek-trick or' treat," & "pumpkin, pumpkin, CAT!" (another version of duck, duck, goose). Then it was time to paint & carve our pumpkins. Justin carved this really cool pirate ship. The girls were really impressed. (Dad is so cool!) For dinner we had "worms". (spaghetti) All during our eating Tori would say, "these are such good worms mom...I love these worms!" and then she would snicker like she was pretending so well that they were worms. It was such fun because they really got into it. Then it was time; time for the anxiously awaited thrill of Trick or Treating. I went with them to the first two doors & then they wanted to do it themselves & I was asked very nicely if "Mom, would you like to stay in the car & keep warm?" I got the hint. So the 3rd house they excitedly went to the door themselves & came back just beaming, not that they got Twinkies or anything, but that "We did it!!! We did it all by ourselves! And we said, thank you so much, Happy Halloween! This is great Mom!" It was priceless. The next house we went to the same excitement rushed to the door. I rolled down the window so I could listen this time & the lady was oooing & ahhhing over how beautiful the two princesses were. In the most polite "princess" kind of way I heard, "thank you so much, ba-bye!" Tori was coming down the steps & she lost one of her shoes. The woman called out, "oh, Cinderella you lost your slipper!" What happened next, I wish I had a video camera for. She so gracefully walked back up the stairs, slipped her tiny foot into the shoe & carried on. Then turned, curtsied, & waved. The lady had the biggest smile on her face. I know that she closed the door & died laughing. I did! It was adorable. After we went around the neighborhood, the kids wanted to trick Dad. So they went to our door & rang the doorbell. Pretended like they were trick or' treating. They got back to the car & they were laughing so hard. They said, "We tricked Dad so good. He doesn't even know who we are!" Apparently HE tricked them so good by pretending he didn't recognize THEM. It was hilarious. Justin's costume was great. He was a vampire. Not a scary one because we knew that would be a little too much for the girls, so he was a "classy" one. We had neighbor's coming over to our house just to see his costume. He got an applause one time as he opened the door. What a fun night! The best part about it was that the more we got into it, the more the kids did. We can't wait until next year when we add some more fun traditions to it. As for now, on to the next holiday. Tori is already hyped about it because she asked me "Mom, what are you going to be for Thanksgiving....a ghost?" :) Ahhh, good times.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Oh Girl you all look soo great!! What fun!! Halloween is definatley one of my favorite Holidays! We have so much fun! THe wonderful thing about it is that I love being with family and everything but this is a holiday where you stay home and enjoy each other without the rush of going somewhere and making big meals! Do you know what I mean! I just love that, simple but yet busy also. Just so much fun! I love your page!! It looks great!! You can easily get it done now girl!! YEAH!! We can so keep in touch and share stories now so fun!! Love you girl!
That is one of the sweetest, funniest halloween stories I've heard! Brynn and Tori are so adorable -- I wish I could have seen "Cinderella" in action! Too cute!
Your costumes were great!
I love the story of your halloween night. The costumes look great and I love to dress up too. I am glad we know your blog now.
Harley, the more I get to know you the more I am awed at what a great mom you are. Your girls are so lucky! Parents who dress up on Halloween are so very fun! Aren't you glad you have a blog, to help you record the magical moments or parenthood?
What a great family you have! I love how much fun you made Halloween, and how you got into it so much. Also love your house, it's beautiful! P.S. If I "inspired" you to blog, I am pretty sure I didn't inspire how cute you made it-great job on it!
Post a Comment